

I heard on TV lately, that some researchers hypothesize that the increase in allergies in children might possibly be due to our more sterile lifestyle in the past few years. They also postulate that children might have more food allergies because mothers and fathers are very sensitive to the POSSIBILITIES of allergies, and are thus more likely to limit the foods their children get even more than they used to.
I found all this interesting as I think back to when my own kids were small. Those of us who read Rachel Carson knew of dangers of pesticides and chemical fertilizers. I remember growing our own vegetables and some fruit and reading the Organic Gardening magazine cover to cover. I also remember being told to introduce foods slowly, but I remember Paul gumming pizza on his first birthday (He didn't get any teeth until he was 13 months old. . and they were great when they came in!). I never used pesticides. . Paul still remembers picking potato bugs off the plants for a penny apiece. The apples went to the cider mill worms and all because the extra protein was a small price to pay to avoid Alar. We even got our beef from our neighbors. . also great fans of organic gardening practices. If I could have gotten organic chicken, I would have. And we were quite happy to use our well water and have flouride treatments at the dentist' office.
My kids played in the dirt in the garden (I did fence the cats out of the tractor tire sand box). I treasure a picture I have of Laura and Paul just brown from head to toe after a busy day playing "Land of the Lost" in the corn patch. I'd bring the trucks and graders down, and they'd play in the corn where it was shadier while I picked beans, or pulled weeds, or did whatever else was necessary. I also love the picture I have of Abram playing with his Dad's old trucks (the same ones, I might add) and covered head to toe in dirt as well.
Of course, all this discussion of dirt causes me to look at my house. Gulp. Time to vacuum and dust again. And the pile of laundry isn't getting any smaller. Thank heavens John has given attention to the dishes. We complain about getting dirty, yet the truth is, you can't have clean without getting into the dirt to get it out. And dirt is all around us. The best dirt is called soil, but it's on the ground, in the air, and in the water. We have to give it attention at times.
All this is to say that dirt gets a bad rap! That dirt all over me in the picture above is from the Rivanna River recently when we did "Clean the Bay" day. My buddy and I made quite a haul out of the river, including an eight foot sewer pipe wrapped in especially aggravating wire. We even made the television news. If you check out this link, I'm telling everyone to get involved. http://www.nbc29.com/story/14839960/volunteers-clean-up-as-part-of-clean-the-bay-day
My recommendation is to take the time to get your hands. . and whatever else. . dirty. It's a great way to make the world a better place to be.
No comments:
Post a Comment