
WOW! I saw a note on someone's face book page..."You have a lot of old people friends." And it was to one of my friends. WHAT?!?!? And then I thought about it. So the premise of today's blog is "Age is a state of mind... And it's not the years, its the fears" (For those of you collecting, as far as I know that is a Swenson original. Alas if it's already claimed.)
Have you ever known a young person that with a good gray wig, spectacles and a cane could pass easily for an "OLD person"? There are some people who are so afraid of energy, or new ideas, or taking a chance that they add years and years to their chronological status by their fears. And there are some more chronologically blessed who give the appearance of many years younger, not because of their cosmetologist or plastic surgeon, but by their energetic and enthusiastic approach to life.
Now I am not promoting disrespect for the safety of your body, but I am promoting real freedom of spirit. I am telling you that it is okay to bounce with the beat of the music; it's fine to give a stranger a grin or a coward a sense of courage; and you will not go to hell by trying out a different way to do something. I am saying that we need to always be trying new things, and let go of the 'safe' to reach out to new knowledge and new loves. I am not saying leave your husband or wife, or try the half pipe. I am saying try some new places, touch the animal being held out to you, be the Santa Claus at the Christmas party, wear the silly hat. Every once in a while yell, "Let's have some fun!!" Then don't be afraid to have it. A good belly laugh massages your liver.. It's good for your health. Train your face into new, happy wrinkles. You needn't look like you are eating pickles all the time to be respected.
(Look for the praying mantis on the hat. She crawled up my arm to the top... they catch more bugs up high, so look for them first on the tops of the bushes.)
No comments:
Post a Comment