
I was a little girl- - small in stature and inches behind - or below- my classmates until I was in High School. We moved a lot, and I was constantly forced to look for new friends which added to the timidity. And there was a time in my childhood when my Dad crossed the wrong people and there was a huge atmosphere of fear in our house.. where perhaps my friendship with the mafia's child across the street saved us. All of these things contributed to make me a timid child.
I can see many of my friends laughing out loud, unbelieving, because today timidity is NOT one of my characteristics. I have taken on giants, sometimes to be knocked on my can but sometimes to defeat them. When asked where I get my gumption (thanks, Mom, for that word) I usually say with pride, "I'm a middle school teacher", but that's not the truth. No, the truth is that I have a very special relationship.
You see, in seventh grade, I was so timid I would not take my coat off until the teacher yelled at me. It was a way to hide .. just in case something was unbuttoned when I did take it off. Or to hide my very slow development which was all too obvious to those with or looking at 'bumps'. And in eighth grade, I would slink down in my seat and bury myself in a book if the teacher let me get away with it. I would be the one in the bathroom all through the eighth grade dances. In ninth grade, I signed up for drama class and found I could pretend to be someone else and it wasn't so bad. Unfortunately, we moved again in the middle of ninth grade, to the only house in town with a swimming pool, so I was more of the center of the wrong kind of attention. Still very quiet and very shy. In tenth grade I found that relationship. And that's where all the difference in the world began.
I found Jesus.. rather I should say He found me. And slowly, like a very tight bud opening up, I became more brave. I was still rather shy at school, but I got very active in church activities. Youth group in the middle of the nearby city was my place to shine. Jesus loved me there, and the other kids welcomed me. And church camp was my real debut. At church camp I was the star reporter on the newspaper. I led songs and pranks. And I made lots more friends. I was elected to the youth council of the whole district.. actually became president. By the time I got to college, I was definitely majoring in organizing and manning the chaplain's activities. And the old, timid Ida, was made new with the new found faith that my Saviour gave me.
The neat thing about it is that courage is something that is encouraged over and over in the Bible. Three times in Deuteronomy 31, Moses and God tells those timid, hard-hearted slaves being led into the wilderness toward the promised land, "Be Strong and Courageous! For the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you." At least six times, Joshua encourages the Israelites with the same words as they kill the tribes that are occupying their promised land. When David hands the reigns over to Solomon (II Chronicles 32:7) he speaks those words. Hezekiah, when faced with a huge angry army, is told, "Be Strong and Courageous! For the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
My favorite story about my Saviour? It's been a busy day feeding thousands on the shores of the Sea of Galilee. He sends the disciples across the water in a boat so he can go pray, promising to meet them on the other side. In the middle of trip, a violent storm rises up. It is night, the waves are swamping their small craft, they know they are about to lose their lives. And a light shines in the mist and someone or something is approaching the boat. Can it be? It IS! And what does He say in the midst of their huge fear? "I am. Fear not." (Mark 6) And immediately the waves and the fear die down as he walks toward them across the water.
My amazement never ends. When my children are suffering, and I fear for them, the Lord speaks, "Be Strong and Courageous! For the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you." When my friends die and I contemplate life without them or perhaps without my husband, the Lord speaks, "Be Strong and Courageous! For the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you." When the right thing to do means possibly losing relationships, He is with me. I like that God never says it will be easy. He only promises to be with me.
And so He is.
No comments:
Post a Comment