CLASSROOM
ATMOSPHERE
MAKING
THE RIGHT IMPRESSION- DOES YOUR CLASSROOM ‘REEK’
OF SCIENCE?
By Ida Swenson
Everyone knows that first impressions do count. In the science classroom, first, middle and last impressions count. What impression does your classroom create? Does it show that students spend time there and do worthwhile things? Does it look like a place where science happens? Do you look like a scientist or at least someone who enjoys science? Do living things have a place or is your classroom sterile? The atmosphere is something you breathe. Can a student breathe science in your room?
The
first thing most students notice in the classroom is the teacher. Do you look scientific? I have worn a lab coat for years. (Not the same one - and I do take it home
frequently to wash it.) You can get
them from a uniform shop or order them.
I embroider my name on the pocket in "Roy G Biv" colors. Some people think I wear the coat because I'm
scientific. The truth is that I need
the pockets and the labcoat saves my other clothes from stains, keeps me warm
when the heat goes down and of course supplies pockets. It is also great fun to dress for the
subject matter. T-shirts that fit your
subject matter are always in style.
Ties, skirts, blouses, earrings,--and whatever else fits the topic-- can
be found everywhere from T.J. Maxx to K-mart if you keep your eyes open. If you sew and can find appropriate fabric,
use it to create your own Ms. Frizzle aura in the classroom. Even if you don't sew, a simple, elastic
waist skirt can be made with one seam, a 'tunnel' for the elastic, and a
hem. A T-shirt over the top, or a belt
will cover the waist; my dinosaur skirt fits sizes 6 to 20. One of the highlights of my year was when a
student excitedly told his Mom at open house, "You should see what she
wears! You can tell what we're studying
just by looking at her." And I
knew I had created a monster when a student looked at me in May and asked,
"What does what you're wearing have to do with science?" Do be prepared to be referred to as
"The Friz".
My favorite animals are reptiles,
amphibians and insects. I keep anoles
when possible. They are cheap and afford
interesting hypotheses by the students as to why they change colors. Most reptiles must have a 'heat rock' for
proper digestion. To feed them cheaply,
I keep mealworms. The mealworms require
only chicken feed or bran and occasional apple or potato peelings. They provide an excellent example of
incomplete metamorphosis and sometimes of the population control nature will undertake
on its own. I also have found a pet
store that occasionally will trade an anole lizard for a few hundred
worms. I always have tadpoles which are
taken back to their original pond as soon as possible after they 'frog
out'. I have had a yellow-spotted
salamander and a yellow-spotted newt that I raised from tadpoles. They ate mealworms and earthworms - in fact
they survived long periods in a moist terrarium full of leaf litter with no
attention other than adding water. An
apple core attracted fruit flies and other insects for them. If you can get crickets started growing in
your room, they also will provide food for your cold-blooded vertebrates. I have not had much luck, but my pet store
owner will eagerly trade with me if I can get them going. And how about some hissing cockroaches? They can be kept in a jar or old aquarium
with only a ring of vaseline around the top two inches of the glass. They can also be the subject of experiments
on food preferences, habitat preference, etc. I kept tropical fish for several years, but
had to watch carefully for under feeding, over feeding, chemical levels, heat
levels, etc., etc. The tank had to be
cleaned out, the fish had to be purchased and then disposed of for the
summer. It was a royal pain in the
neck. Once I started keeping a pond, I
rapidly discontinued the tropical fish tank.
Many articles have been written about
the physical setting in the classroom.
Bulletin board ideas abound in Science Scope, Science for Children, on
the internet and trade books. A
subscription or two to Ranger Rick, National Geographic or your state
conservation magazine will furnish display ideas. Show student work. Is there a place for recognizing outstanding
students or team sheets? Are there
cartoons that have to do with your current topic? Hang posters from the ceiling. If you have a dropped ceiling with grids
showing, use bent paper clips and a hole punch to hang posters next to the
ceiling. Change the posters frequently
to reflect the current unit, so even the day dreamers will be learning about
science. A riddler poster can have
puzzlers, knock-knock jokes, riddles or other funny quips related to the
topic. A sheet of laminated colored
paper that holds interesting things will become a center of attention before
and after class. I am very
fortunate to have a magnetic blackboard,
but you can purchase magnetic 'whiteboard' by the roll. I have even seen magnetic paint advertised,
and am thinking about purchasing some for one of the walls in my room. I use magnets to hold up team sheets, arrows
that alert students to what they need to get ready for class, announcements,
posters, and game cards to arrange into groups when we study protists and
invertebrates. Cupboard doors can
become bulletin boards as well as using brown paper hung by the bent paper clip
method. The advantage to the brown paper
is being able to roll it up for next year.
What does your classroom sound
like? Are there occasional animal
noises? Do songs about the content make
an occasional ‘appearance’? Is there
appropriate background music and noises when you are doing some labs? Is there laughter to open the mind to new
ideas? Is there a low hum of ideas being
shared during labs and group work? Do
your students feel comfortable asking you questions because you will treat
their inquiries with respect and occasional good humor? Do they know that disrespect from you or
anyone else in the room is forbidden?
The very quiet classroom is rarely the best classroom atmosphere.
A set of encyclopedias or the internet
can furnish instant answers to questions that come up. Sometimes a dictionary even helps. It is good for students to see that you do
not know everything, but you do know where to go to try to find the answers. It is also good for students to understand
that scientists do not HAVE all the answers, that there are still mysteries
left for them to solve. A shelf of old National Geographic, Ranger Rick, and Popular Science magazines will provide reading and reference
materials for bored study hall students, reports, and borrowing for pleasure
reading. My librarian offered me
references and magazines that were about to be discarded. I also made an appeal for magazines and
solicitation calendars to parents each year, as we did a couple projects that
necessitate cutting out pictures.
Ida
Swenson lives in Palmyra , Virginia .
She is retired from Binghamton City School District
in Binghamton , New York .
You email her at idathefriz@gmail.com.
No comments:
Post a Comment